Over the past 25 years, many building owners have equipped their facilities with automatic door operators. Although not a requirement of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, this act inspired the use of Automatic Operators as a way to provide greater accessibility and convenience to those with special needs. However, these products provide many more benefits than just aiding the disabled. With more product and service options and improvements over the last 25 years, automatic operators are used for a number of reasons.
- Preference: The most surprising reason that facility managers prefer automatic door openers is preference! Research has shown that consumers prefer automatic doors and expect to see them at hospitals, airports, hotels/motels, shopping mall entrances, and other public spaces.
- Style and Options: There are a plethora choices available in a variety of colors, finishes, and designs to enhance a building’s unique style and make a great first impression to customers.
- Convenience: Automatic doors enable easy access for all people, and instantly demonstrate to users that the establishment cares about their convenience.
- Ease of Use and Energy Savings: When automatic doors are installed and maintained properly, day-to-day operation is straightforward and trouble-free. This provides return on investment through convenience and energy savings by often significantly reducing annual heating/cooling costs.
- Safety and Access for All: When installed and adjusted properly with appropriate sensors, automatic doors can help significantly minimize risk of injury and welcome all users, regardless of their physical capabilities, with an accommodating, open door.
If you have any questions about the benefits or options available for low energy automatic operators for swinging doors, or would like to schedule a maintenance review/adjustment, please contact your LaForce Building Products Consultant.