Code violations on fire rated doors can sometimes be difficult to spot. Can you find the two violations on this door?
- This fire rated door has a closer with a hold open arm. According to NFPA 80, code 22.214.171.124.1, self-closing doors shall swing easily and freely and shall be equipped with a closing device to cause the door to close and latch each time it is opened. Additionally, code 126.96.36.199.2 states that the closing mechanism shall not have a hold-open feature.
- The protection plate on this fire rated door is too large and has no visible identification of a fire rating. The following NFPA 80 codes define this:
- 4.5.1 Factory installed protection plates shall be installed in accordance with the listing of the door.
- 4.5.2 Field installed protection plates shall be labeled and installed in accordance with their listing.
- 4.5.3 Labeling shall not be required where the top of the protection plate is not more than 16 inches above the bottom of the door.